Skip to main content

Our little Pinay

My husband would have preferred that I talk to Karen in english but I've insisted with Tagalog, believing that it is very important for her to learn my native language and for her to be able to converse with our relatives back home and not feel left out. So from her birth up to now we are conversing in Tagalog. Her father on the other hand, talks to her in french and she is actually progressing really well, thanks also to her twice a week sched. at the day care center. I expose her to english language thru songs, dvds and books. Karen has recently discovered Dora the explorer and has forgotten Nemo altogether.

The only thing which bothered me at the beginning was her slow progress in talking. Some said that it was probably because of hearing three languages but reading the testimonies at http://www.multilingualchildren.org made me realized that I am on the right path.

At times I found myself answering her in french, then I remind myself to switch back in Tagalog. She is actually mixing the two languages. On the other hand, I know that she understand english well coz when she was asked something she would then respond to the question. Maybe not in complete sentence but she grasped the idea.

My husband and I are talking in french but I was thinking of switching to english to add another manner of exposing our daughters to the language. It would also be a good thing for me coz I haven't spoken to him in english for a very long time.

Well, goodluck to us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wonder...

How can I stop looking up the sky? With it's beauty that never ceases to amaze me.

Our mid-week get away in Dijon

Dijon, one of the cities in France, was the destination of our mid-week get away. The city,which is well known for its mustard,is a 3-hour train ride from Genève via Lausanne. As I've mentioned in my previous post ,this was my first time to visit the city. We arrived mid-day to a gloomy surrounding and headed to Quick, sort of Jollibee here. Yet,the real treat was in the old town. Walking on the paved street for me was like being transported to another era. Aside from Musée des Beaux-Arts Dijon, we were able to visit Cathédrale de Saint Bénigne and the Notre Dame de Dijon. However,due to time constraint we were not able to visit other places. Our evening meal was in Le Théâtre des Sens, a small but cozy restaurant and where I've tried escargot. Yes, I did and blame it on the kir! Our dinner was really good,the waiter was very cheery and accomodating. We stayed at the Hotel Des Ducs where we spent the rest of the night watching crime scene investigation. Ah! the joy of havin

Light in the sky

For a long time I am fascinated by the sky, but this has been fuelled up when I joined Sky Watch Friday . I am really thankful for this!